1. Equipment Name:Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry
2. Equipment Details:Make: Thermo Fisher Scientific, Model: Trace GC Ultra with DSQ-II
1) Higher Capital Cost
2) Higher maintenance (Time, expertise and money)
The Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC MS) instrument separates chemical mixtures (the GC component) and identifies the components at a molecular level (the MS component).The sample is introduced on a vapour at the head of the column, distributed themselves between this phase and the gaseous mobile phase. Elution is accomplished by facing an inert carrier gas like He or N2 through the column. The sample components become distributed in the gas phase. These components therefore travel more slowly than a carrier gas because they are being retarded by virtue of their interaction with the carrier gas. The retarding effect is different for different components on the other hand, those components whose solubility in the mobile phase is negligible move rapidly through the column.Mass spectrometry (MS) is an analytical technique that measures the mass-to-charge ratio of charged particles. It is used for determining masses of particles, for determining the elemental composition of a sample or molecule, and for elucidating the chemical structures of molecules, such as peptides and other chemical compounds. The MS principle consists of ionizing chemical compounds to generate charged molecules or molecule fragments and measuring their mass-to-charge ratios.
1. To allow changing the columns without disturbing the vacuum in MS
2. Gc with Flame Ionization Detector, Head Space Technology and Mass Spectrometry with Quadrapole Mass Analyzer.